Wednesday, November 10, 2010

2

26OCT2008
 
When someone respects you, they know to pay attention to you. When someone doesn’t respect you, they get sloppy, and aren’t paying attention.
I needed them sloppy in the House, in order to survive. It was my choice to make sure they didn’t respect me.__________

31OCT20008
 
The Guggenheim: At first I thought the displays, the setup, and people weird -- sentences on the wall that didn't seem to quite make sense, art that seemed almost amateurish.
Then I began being won over by the mural-words, hidden in small print in corners, in shadows of dark elevator foyers. It was like the building wanted me there, as if it knew me and had been waiting for me.
(Looking at Catherine Opie's work, a lot of which focuses on America's queer subculture.)
At first the people just seemed weird, but then the photographs clicked with me. I could see what she was trying to portray. Despite the Sadness inherent in their 'weirdness,' there was their Toughness.
That Attitude, an attitude that flourishes in their tattoos, skin piercing, and defiant, easy clothing. That sheer toughness ..
(Mellissa and Lake, of Durham, NC, the subjects of one photograph, talking on the museum-audio-tour-ipod-device:)
_He [her dad] thought it was very confrontational, [the photograph], I think. But we thought it wasn't. I feel like it's really important to be seen in the world._

No comments:

Post a Comment